Monday, March 11, 2013

4th Sunday of Lent (C)


Inspire in Us the Practice of Good (2011-2013):

Sunday Reflections for Liturgical Years 2011 (A), 2012 (B), and 2013 (C)

4th Sunday of Lent (C), March 10, 2013

Liturgical readings
Joshua 5:9, 10-12
Psalm 34
2 Corinthians 5:17-21
Luke 15:1-3, 11-32

"His father caught sight of him and was deeply moved."





The tax collectors and the sinners
were all gathering around Jesus to
hear him,
at which the Pharisees and the scribes murmured,


This man welcomes sinners and eats with them."

Then he addressed this parable to them:


"A man had two sons.
The younger of them said to his father,


'Father, give me the share of the estate that is coming to me.'


So the father divided up the property.


Some days later this younger son collected all his belongings
and went off to a distant land,
where he squandered his money on dissolute living.


After he had spent everything,
a great famine broke out in that country
and he was in dire need.


So he attached himself
to one of the propertied class of the place,
who sent him to his farm to take care of the pigs.


He longed to fill his belly
with the husks that were fodder for the pigs,
but no one made a move to give him anything.


Coming to his senses at last, he said:


'How many hired hands at my father's place 
have more than enough to eat,
while here I am starving!



I will break away 
and return to my father,
and say to him,



'Father,
I have sinned against God
and against you;



I no longer deserve 
to be called your son.
Treat me like one of your hired hands"



With that he set off for his father's house.


While he was still a long way off,
his father caught sight of him
and was deeply moved.


He ran out to meet him,
threw his arms around his neck,
and kissed him.


The son said to him,


'Father,
I have sinned against God
and against you;
I no longer deserve to be called your son.'



The father said to his servants:


'Quick!


bring out the finest robe
and put it on him;



put a ring on his finger
and shoes on his feet.



Take the fatted calf
and kill it.



Let us eat and celebrate
because this son of mine was dead
and has come back to life.



He was lost
and is found.'



Then the celebration began.


"Meanwhile the elder son was out on the land.
As he neared the house on his way home,
he heard the sound of music and dancing.


He called one of the servants
and asked him the reason for the dancing and the music.


The servant answered,


'Your brother is home,
and your father has killed the fatted calf
because he has him back in good health.'



The son grew angry at this
and would not go in;
but his father came out
and began to plead with him.


He said
in reply to his father:


'For years now I have slaved for you.
I never disobeyed one of your orders,
yet you never gave me so much as a kid goat
to celebrate with my friends.



Then,
when this son of yours returns
after having gone through your property
with loose women,
you kill the fatted calf for him.'



"'My son,'


replied the father,


'you are with me always,


and everything I have is yours.


But we had to celebrate
and rejoice!



This brother of yours was dead,
and has come back to life.



He was lost, and is found.'"



Points for reflection and prayer:
"Today I have removed the reproach of Egypt from you." (Joshua 5)
"When the afflicted man called out, the Lord heard, and from all his
distress he saved him." (Psalm 34)
"God has reconciled us to himself through Christ." (2 Corinthians 5)

No comments:

26th Sunday of the Year (B)

Reflections for the 26th Sunday of the Year (B) Numbers 11:25-29 Psalm 19 James 5:1-6 Mark 9:38-43, 45, 47-48 To be posted and publishe...