Monday, March 25, 2013

Passion Sunday (C)

Inspire in Us the Practice of Good (2011-2013):

Sunday Reflections for Liturgical Years 2011 (A), 2012 (B), and 2013 (C)


Passion Sunday (C), March 24, 2013


Liturgical readings
Isaiah 50:4-7
Psalm 22
Philippians 2:6-11
Luke 22:14 - 23:56

"Do this as a remembrance of me."




When the hour arrived,
Jesus took his place at table,
and the apostles with him.

He said to them:

"I have greatly desired
to eat this Passover with you
before I suffer.

I tell you,
I will not eat again
until it is fulfilled
in the kingdom of God."

Then
taking a cup
he offered a blessing in thanks
and said:

"Take this
and divide it among you;
I tell you,
from now on
I will not drink of the fruit of the vine
until the coming of the reign of God."

Then
taking bread and giving thanks,
he broke it and gave it to them,
saying:

"This is my body
to be given for you.
Do this as a remembrance of me."

He did the same with the cup
after eating, saying as he did so:

"This cup is the new covenant in my blood,
which will be shed for you."

...
...
...


Then he went out
and made his way,
as was his custom,
to the Mount of Olives;
his disciples accompanied him.


...
...
...


a crowd came,
led by the man named Judas,
one of the Twelve.


...
...
...


They led him away under arrest


...
...
...


At daybreak the council,
which was made up of the
elders of the people,
the chief priests,
and the scribes,
assembled


...
...
...


Then the entire assembly rose up
and led him before Pilate


...
...
...


The whole crowd cried out...
"Crucify him, crucify him!"


...
...
...


Pilate then decreed
that what they demanded
should be done...
he delivered Jesus up to their wishes

...
...
...


Two others who were criminals
were led along with him to be crucified.

...
...
...


Darkness came over the whole land until midafternoon
with an eclipse of the sun.
The curtain in the sanctuary was torn in two.
Jesus uttered a loud cry and said,


"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit."


After he said this, he expired.


Points for reflection and prayer:
"Morning after morning he opens my ear that I may hear." (Isaiah 50)
"They have pierced my hands and my feet; I can count all my bones." (Psalm 22)
"He emptied himself and took the form of a slave." (Philippians 2)

No comments:

26th Sunday of the Year (B)

Reflections for the 26th Sunday of the Year (B) Numbers 11:25-29 Psalm 19 James 5:1-6 Mark 9:38-43, 45, 47-48 To be posted and publishe...