Saturday, April 27, 2024

The Prayers of St. Catherine of Siena (feast April 29)

The prayers of St. Catherine of Siena are in the form of prose, yet its poetic spirit lies in the fondness of her repeating words and phrases - addresses she makes to God.

Examples of her repetitive words are as follows:

Godhead!
Godhead!
Ineffable Godhead!

Gentle Jesus!
Jesus love!

O immeasurable love!
O gentle love!
Eternal fire!

In your light I have seen light;
in your light I have come to know the light.
In your light we come to know the source of light...

O eternal Trinity,
my sweet love!
You, light,
give us light.
You, wisdom,
give us wisdom.
You, supreme strength,
strengthen us.

O Mary!
Mary!
Temple of the Trinity!
O Mary, bearer of the fire!
Mary, minister of mercy!
Mary, seedbed of the fruit!

Twenty-six of these prayers of St. Catherine have been preserved for the Catholic Church. It is said that these prayers were transcribed by one or more of her followers who were present as she prayed aloud (refer to the exclamatory addresses to God, Jesus, and Mary).

One can see the passion that runs deep in these prayers. She intercedes and pleads passionately to God for all: for the world, for the Church, for the Pope, for her friends and followers, and all who are in need. This is one evidence of her spiritual greatness.

The simplicity also of her prayers teach us to trust in God completely and have confidence in His Providence for all that we need. Below is an example of this prayer:

O Holy Spirit, come into my heart;
by your power draw it to yourself, God,
and give me charity with fear.
Guard me, Christ, from every evil thought,
and so warm and inflame me again
with your most gentle love
that every suffering may seem light to me.
My holy Father and my gentle Lord,
help me in my every need.
Christ love! Christ love!

No comments:

Three Good Catholic Books: Our Lady of Fatima, St. Francis of Assisi, & St. Thomas of Aquinas

The feast of Our Lady of Fatima is on May 13. This blog post will feature a book on Our Lady of Fatima together with two other books of two ...