Monday, June 10, 2013

10th Sunday of the Year (C)

Inspire in Us the Practice of Good (2011-2013):

10th Sunday of the Year (C), June 9, 2013

Liturgical readings
1 Kings 17:17-24
Psalm 30
Galatians 1:11-19
Luke 7:11-17

"At this, the bearers halted."



Jesus went to a town
        called Nain,


and his disciples
and a large crowd
accompanied him.


As he approached the gate
        of the town
a dead man was being carried out,
the only son of a widowed mother.


A considerable crowd
of townsfolk were with her.


The Lord was moved with pity
upon seeing her
and said to her,


"Do not cry."


Then he stepped forward
and touched the litter;


at this,


the bearers halted.


He said,


Young man,
I bid you
get up."


The dead man sat up
and began to speak.


Then Jesus gave him back
        to his mother.


Fear seized them all
and they began
to praise God.


"A great prophet
has risen among us,"
they said,


and


"God has visited
his people."


This was the report
that spread about him
throughout Judea
and the surrounding country.


Points for reflection and prayer:
"O Lord, my God, let the life breath return to the body of this child." (1 Kings)
"O Lord, be my helper. You have changed my mourning into dancing." (Psalm 30)
"He who has set me apart before I was born and called me by his favor chose to reveal His Son through me, that I might spread among the Gentiles the good things concerning Him." (Galatians)

No comments:

Memorial of Saints (September 30)

Feasts, Obligatory and Optional Memorials of Saints St. Jerome, priest and Doctor of the Church Gregory the Illuminator, bishop;...