Sunday, July 31, 2022

18th Sunday of the Year (C)

Sunday Reflections for Liturgical Years 2011 (A), 2012 (B), and 2013 (C)

18th Sunday of the Year (C), August 5, 2013

Liturgical readings
Ecclesiastes 1:2, 2:21-23
Psalm 90
Colossians 3:1-5, 9-11
Luke 12:13-21

"Jesus told them a parable."



Someone in the crowd
said to Jesus,


"Teacher,
tell my brother to give me
my share of our inheritance."


He replied,


"Friend,
who has set me up
as your judge or arbiter?"


Then he said to the crowd,


"Avoid greed in all its forms.
A man may be wealthy,
but his possessions
do not guarantee him life."


He told them a parable
in these words:


"There was a rich man
who had a good harvest.


'What shall I do?'
he asked himself,



'I have no place
to store my harvest.


I know!'
he said.


'I will pull down my grain bins
and build larger ones.
All my grain and my goods
will go there.



Then I will say to myself:
You have blessings in reserve
for years to come.


Relax!
Eat heartily,
drink well.
Enjoy yourself.'


But God said to him,


'You fool!
This very night
your life shall be required of you.


To whom
will all this piled-up wealth
of yours go?'


That is the way it works
with the man who grows rich for himself
instead of growing rich
in the sight of God."

No comments:

Memorial of Saints (September 18)

Obligatory and Optional Memorials of Saints for September 18 Joseph of Cupertino, confessor; Ferreolus, martyr; Methodiu...