Monday, August 15, 2022

20th Sunday of the Year (C)

Sunday Gospel for "Your Reflection": Liturgical Years 2011 (A), 2012 (B), and 2013 (C)

20th Sunday of the Year (C), August 18, 2013

Liturgical readings
Jeremiah 38:4-6, 8-10
Psalm 40
Hebrews 12:1-4
Luke 12:49-53

"Jesus has come to light a fire on the earth."


Jesus said to his disciples:


"I have come
to light a fire on the earth.


How I wish the blaze were ignited!


I have a baptism to receive.


What anguish I feel till it is over!



Do you think I have come
to establish peace on the earth?


I assure you,
the contrary is true;


Wherever your treasure lies,
there your heart will be.


I have come for division.


From now on,
a household of five
will be divided
three against two
and two against three;


father will be split against son
and son against father,


mother against daughter
and daughter against mother,


mother-in-law against daughter-in-law,
daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."


Scripture verses from the Sunday Readings:
"The Lord heard my cry. He drew me out of the pit of destruction." (Psalm 40)
"You are my help and my deliverer,  O my God, hold not back." (Psalm 40)
"Let us aside every encumbrance of sin which clings to us and persevere in running the race which lies ahead." (Hebrews 12)
"Many shall look on in awe and trust in the Lord." (Psalm 40)

No comments:

Memorial of Saints (September 19)

Obligatory and Optional Memorials of Saints for September 19 Januarius, bishop and martyr Peleus and Companions, martyrs; ...