Tuesday, September 06, 2022

23rd Sunday of the Year (C): Philemon 9-10, 12-17

Sunday Readings for Your Reflection: Liturgical Years 2011 (A), 2012 (B), and 2013 (C)

23rd Sunday of the Year (C), September 8, 2013

Liturgical readings
Wisdom 9:13-18
Psalm 90
Philemon 9-10, 12-17
Luke 14:25-33

"Paul appeals for his child whom he has begotten during his imprisonment."


I,
Paul,
ambassador for Christ


and now a prisoner
for him,


appeal to you for my child,


whom I have begotten
during my imprisonment.


It is he I am sending to you


-- and that means
I am sending my heart!


I had wanted to keep him with me,
that he might serve me in your place


while I am in prison for the gospel;


but I did not want to do anything
without your consent,


that kindness might not be forced on you


but freely bestowed.


Perhaps he was separated from you
for a while for this reason:


that you might possess him forever,


no longer as a slave
but as more than a slave,


a beloved brother,


especially dear to me;


and how much more than a brother to you,


since now you will know him both
as a man
and in the Lord.


If then you regard me as a partner,
welcome him as you would me.


Scripture quotes from the readings:
"In every age, O Lord, you have been our refuge." (Psalm 90)
"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may know wisdom of heart." (Psalm 90)
"And may the gracious care of the Lord our God be ours." (Psalm 90)


No comments:

Memorial of Saints (September 19)

Obligatory and Optional Memorials of Saints for September 19 Januarius, bishop and martyr Peleus and Companions, martyrs; ...