Monday, January 22, 2024

A Hymn to God the Father

Poems are used as an alternative to the hymns in the Night Prayer section of the breviary. The poem for Monday's Night Prayer, A Hymn to God the Father, is attributed to John Donne

The poem is as follows:


Wilt Thou forgive that sin where I begun,
Which was my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin through which I run,
And do run still, though still I do deplore?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done,
For I have more.

Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I have won
Others to sin? and made my sin their door?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shun
A year or two, but wallowed in a score?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done,
For I have more.

I have a sin of fear, that when I have spun
My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
But swear by Thy self, that at my death Thy Son
Shall shine as he shines now and heretofore;
And, having done that, Thou hast done,
I fear no more.

Night Prayer always reminds the faithful of the sins committed during the day. It could be a sin committed by word or by an action. It can also be a sin of omission - the good the person was not able to do. Examination of one's conscience helps in seeing all the sins of commission and omission during the day. One can also examine one's thoughts and feelings. Getting to the root of one's ill thoughts or feelings can help in understanding what vice can be replaced with a good habit of thought. Also, getting at the root of one's feelings of anger, envy or pride can save one from being controlled by these vices.

This poem for Monday's Night Prayer makes all aware of sin in its many dimensions. The first stanza of the poem speaks of both original sin and personal sin. It makes one realize the strong influence of sin, for even when God forgives, it seems that "[He] hast not done", "for I have more". It appears as if man's basic sinfulness overtakes God's mercy and forgiveness.

The second stanza of the poem helps one to realize that one's sins can also lead others to sin. Also, the sin that one has avoided for a long time, can suddenly become a sin again committed many times over. Everyone knows that God forgives, but it feels that "[He] hast not done" because sins multiply in a way that overtakes the forgiveness and mercy of God. In this regard, one can remember what St. Paul said about the law of sin in his soul in one of his epistles: how he is influenced to do what he should not do.

The third stanza of the poem teaches all not to fear dying in sin, but to have access to Jesus' forgiveness. With trust in Christ's mercy - the Divine Mercy - Christ will brightly shine His great mercy to finally conquer the darkness of all sins. And there is no need to fear losing the salvation of one's souls if the direction of one's primordial commitment is to confess one's sins, to do penance and to amend and reform one's life to build the City of God.

No comments:

Pentecost Sunday (B)

(Edited) Reflections (from) Pentecost Sunday (B), June 4, 2006 "As the Father has sent me, so I send you." After the 50 days o...