Thursday, January 18, 2024

O Deus Ego Amo Te

There is a poem used as an alternative to the hymn of Thursday, Night Prayer. The poem is composed by Gerard Manley Hopkins, a Jesuit known for his highly descriptive and picturesque style. His style presents a complexity of beautiful imagery.

In this poem, O Deus Ego Amo Te, Hopkins plainly expresses his love for God, and shares how he sees God's love for him through the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross.

The poem is presented in just one long stanza, and ends with an
Amen:


O God, I love Thee, I love Thee -
Not out of hope of heaven for me
Nor fearing not to love and be
In the everlasting burning.
Thou, Thou, my Jesus, after me
Didst reach thine arms out dying
For my sake sufferedst nails and lance,
Mocked and marred countenance,
Sorrows passing number,
Sweat and care and cumber,
Yea and death, and this for me,
And Thou couldst see me sinning:
Then I, why should not I love Thee,
Jesu, so much in love with me?
Not for heaven's sake; not to be
Out of hell by loving Thee;
Not for any gains I see;
But just the way that Thou didst me
I do love and I will love Thee;
What must I love Thee, Lord, for then?
For being my King and God. Amen.

The poem of St. Francis Xavier, which also is an expression of love for God, is similar in tone and spirit to Hopkin's poem. In fact, Hopkins poem is really a contemporary version and translation of Xavier's original. Reading the original of St. Francis Xavier's poem, because of the old English language in which it is presented, it is difficult to understand at first reading that the poet is seeking a personal reason for loving God. However, in Hopkin's translation, one can easily follow the order of thought and meaning - until it reached the conclusion of commitment to love the Lord as King and God.

No comments:

Pentecost Sunday (B)

(Edited) Reflections (from) Pentecost Sunday (B), June 4, 2006 "As the Father has sent me, so I send you." After the 50 days o...