Friday, January 19, 2024

Lead, Kindly Light, by J. H. Newman

This prayer-poem by J. H. Newman, is an alternative to the hymn, "Lord Jesus Christ, Abide with Us", for Friday, in the Night Prayer section of the breviary. The poem has a somber tone because it equates night to the reality of death. But as the poem ends, it delivers a tone of hope, knowing that beyond death, the poet shall see a morning filled with smiling angels - a desire that has been rekindled in the poet's heart.

The poem is divided into three stanzas, with a rhythmic refrain of
"lead Thou me on" - in reference to God as Light.


Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom,
Lead thou me on;
The night is dark, and I am far from home,
Lead thou me on.
Keep thou my feet, I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou
Shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now
Lead thou me on.
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will: remember not past years.

So long thy power hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone,
And with the morn those Angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile.

In the first stanza, the poet prays to God to lead him through the dark night. Even though he knows he is far from home, he desires not to hurry, but to take one step at a time - which reveals the poet's wisdom of being careful in one's stride during the night.

In the second stanza, the poet confesses that he was very self-willed and full of pride. He chose the path he wished to tread on but now knows how sinful the path was - since He did not put God in the picture. In his realization, he asks God not to remember those past years, but now to lead him where God really wants to lead him - to the morning where angels smile.

In the third stanza, after the poet's realization of his self-seeking direction and pride, he feels that the Lord can bless him and lead him now over all obstacles during the night. And when this night has gone and the morning arrives, the poet anticipates the joy of seeing the angels smile - welcoming him back to his true home where the Light led him.

One lesson that can be learned from this poem is to have an attitude that is open to God's leading. Often, anyone's self-seeking direction and self-reliant attitude, can cause him, and others as well, to not see the Light clearly. Thus, even if one does not fall, one can "trip" or "stumble" more into the night. This is natural in youth and the ages before midlife. Once midlife has passed, many realize how important it is to trust more in God, especially when the "night" of old age is approaching. This trust can purify one's soul from residues of pride and self-reliance from the past. But what is most important is to understand that whether it is "morning" or "night", the Light of God should always be one's guide. He speaks to us in prayer, and in the Sacraments especially in the Eucharist. He is also the best guide in Confession. He is the Good Shepherd leading us to safe pastures in this life and towards the next.

No comments:

Pentecost Sunday (B)

(Edited) Reflections (from) Pentecost Sunday (B), June 4, 2006 "As the Father has sent me, so I send you." After the 50 days o...